
Old Lunatic Asylum Chinese Block
45 Eastern Street

First opened in 1891 as a lunatic asylum for Chinese with beds for a maximum of 16 patients, this two-storey red-brick and granite structure was built in the Neo-Georgian style with minimal ornamentation: it has a simple pitched roof, a half-basement and an arcade on the first floor. A one-storey building providing quarters for medical staff was later erected next to it.
* This building is not open to the public